Rules / Eligibility
By making an entry, you agree that:.
- The film is one of your first FIVE (5) commercials/films in the category.
- The film has been released between January 1st 2018 and May 15th 2019.
- By entering the film in this competition, you accept the terms and conditions below.
The competition is divided into the following regions. The region is defined by the country where the film has been produced, not by the director’s nationality.
- Northern America
- Latin America
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East
- Directors must have had no more than three years professional experience.
- Entries must be one of the director’s first FIVE (5) pieces of work ever made in the category.
- Films must have been released between January 1st 2018 and May 15th 2019.
- The permission of all copyright owners must be obtained for entry into competition.
- NO CREDITS should be mentioned on the film.
- If the submitted film is in a foreign language it’s in your own interest to include English subtitles.
- Campaigns consisting of several films can be entered but only as individual films. If a campaign for example consists of 6 films, only 5 of these can be entered. Each film will be judged individually.
- Films directed by a team of directors can be entered. Each director must, however, fulfil the above criteria.
- Credits for entries should be submitted via the online form.
- The award organisers are entitled to exclude films not fulfilling the above criteria.
- The award organisers are entitled to move an entry to a more appropriate category if necessary.
- To enter the competition the film must be submitted with completed entry form, payment and uploaded to the Young Director Award website before the deadline on May 15th 2019.
- Entries MUST not exceed 60 minutes in length.
ENTERING THE FILM
- The film and a thumbnail image must be uploaded through the entry site. Longer format entries should also supply a teaser/trailer, edited or cut version (5 minutes or less) to be used for a final judging review and at the winners ceremony.
- The desired resolution is HD 1920 x 1080
- The format of the upload should be .mov or .mp4 (thumbnail image is a .jpg)
- When entering a film, the online entry form must be completed, including declarations stating: That this is one of the first FIVE (5) commercials/film projects made by the director in the category, and that the film has been released between January 1st 2018 and May 15th 2019.
- Entrants must pay an entry fee.
- The entry process is not complete until the administration fee is paid.
- If you are paying by Bank Transfer you must pay within 5 working days of submitting the order for your entries.
- A shortlist will be selected in June from all the films entered.
- Shortlisted directors will be informed by email.
- Winners may be required to supply additional material for any promotional publications and screenings held after the YDA Cannes Show.
- The 1st judging session will be organized online in early June.
- The final judging is on site in Cannes.
- The award ceremony will take place on Thursday June 20th 2019 in Cannes.
- If the winner or a representative is unable to pick up the winners trophy during the Cannes ceremony, the prize may be couriered at the winners own expense.
TREATMENT & PUBLICATION
- Entrants authorize the YDA to screen or publish the film or any stills from the film in connection with the screening in Cannes and any promotion of the competition on all media.
- Entrants will be required to supply additional material of any winning work for promotional publication or exhibition.
- Entrants agree to hold YDA not liable for any claim that may be made against them by reason of any such screenings or publication.
- Entrants authorize YDA’s sponsors to publish their work on their website and/or Social Medias.